Franklin & Marshall College, located in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, is a private liberal arts college with a rich history dating back to its founding in 1787. The college is named after Benjamin Franklin, one of the Founding Fathers of the United States, and John Marshall, the fourth Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. This unique namesake reflects the institution’s commitment to combining the ideals of a liberal education with a focus on practical, real-world applications.
Known for its strong emphasis on academic rigor, Franklin & Marshall offers a wide range of undergraduate programs across various disciplines. The college is particularly renowned for its commitment to interdisciplinary learning and its dedication to fostering critical thinking skills. The small class sizes and close-knit community create an environment where students can engage in meaningful discussions, collaborate with professors, and pursue individualized academic interests.
The campus itself is a blend of historic charm and modern facilities, providing students with a vibrant and conducive learning environment. Beyond academics, Franklin & Marshall places a strong emphasis on co-curricular activities, encouraging students to participate in extracurriculars, community service, and research opportunities. This holistic approach to education reflects the college’s mission to prepare students not only for successful careers but also to be engaged citizens and lifelong learners in an ever-evolving world.
It’s a good idea to look at these 10 fun facts about Franklin & Marshall College to know more about this college.
- Historic Roots: Franklin & Marshall College was established in 1787, making it one of the oldest institutions of higher education in the United States.
- Unique Namesake: The college is named after Benjamin Franklin, one of the Founding Fathers and an advocate of education, and John Marshall, the fourth Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. This dual namesake reflects the college’s commitment to both liberal education and practical application.
- Liberal Arts Focus: Franklin & Marshall College is dedicated to the liberal arts tradition, emphasizing critical thinking, interdisciplinary studies, and a well-rounded education.
- Distinctive Honor System: The college operates on an honor code system, which underscores a culture of trust and integrity within the student body. This system allows for unproctored exams and fosters a sense of academic responsibility.
- Global Perspective: The college has a strong commitment to global education, offering various study abroad programs and encouraging students to engage with diverse perspectives and cultures.
- Small Class Sizes: With a student-faculty ratio of about 9:1, Franklin & Marshall College promotes personalized attention and close interactions between students and professors.
- Award-Winning Campus: The campus, known for its beautiful red-brick buildings and green spaces, has received recognition for its architectural and landscaping excellence.
- NCAA Division III Athletics: The Diplomats, as the college’s athletic teams are known, compete in NCAA Division III sports. The athletic program emphasizes a balance between academics and athletics.
- Innovation and Research: Students have opportunities to engage in cutting-edge research and innovation across various disciplines, fostering a culture of exploration and discovery.
- F&M Diplomat: The college mascot, known as the “F&M Diplomat,” represents the college’s commitment to producing well-rounded, globally aware individuals who can navigate the complexities of the world diplomatically.